O’Reilly Media has released an initial list of keynote speakers for its 5th annual Tools of Change (TOC) Conference. The conference theme is “Publishing Without Boundaries”. According to the conference website, the following will be of particular interest:
- The opportunities and challenges of a global digital marketplace
- What’s up and coming in digital design and production
- Shifts in business models and modes of delivery
- Legal and ethical issues for 21st century publishers: dealing with territorial rights in a digital world; IP reform; fair use; creative commons; consumer privacy; and copyright
- The importance of capturing and understanding consumer data
- Standardization of content identifiers and metadata
- Whither big box and indie brick and mortars? Will indies establish a foothold in the etail space?
- The many issues surrounding digital content for libraries
- Meeting (and anticipating) consumer demands
- Will dedicated devices flourish or perish?
- What are the predictions for winners and losers in the mobile space?
- Advances in EPUB
- The how-tos (as well as pros and cons) of books as apps
- Are any parts of the legacy publishing model worth saving?
- What it really takes to create and operate an effective B2C publishing business
This is an impressive list indeed! But then, we wouldn’t expect anything less from O’Reilly, given the excellence of its past TOC conferences!
Early registration rates end January 11.
I hope to be there covering TOC for The Conference Circuit; check back here frequently for developments leading up to the conference.
Columnist, Information Today and Conference Circuit Blog Editor