Here are some interesting news items that I came across when I was preparing the September Conference Circuit column for Information Today:
- A report on the Joint CENDI/NKOS Workshop, entitled “Knowledge Organization Systems: Managing to the Future” has been published in D-Lib Magazine. It contains summaries of the three conference sessions: Toward a shared development environment, Toward interoperability, and Toward ontologies and the semantic web. Click here to see the report and here for the conference website and the presentations.
- The preliminary program of the Pharma-Bio-Med Conference (Seville, Spain, November 8-10) is now available. Here is a sampling of some of the presentation titles:
- From the Unknown to the Known – Knowledge Management for the Digital Age
- Competitor Analysis Tools Covering Integration, Text Mining, Visualization, Presentation and Delivery
- Is Web 2.0 Really Adopted by Scientists? – Myths, Realities and the Relative Role of the Information Professional
- Do the Right Thing – Confronting the Challenges of Global Copyright Awareness and Compliance Implementation
- The detailed schedule of events at the ASIS&T Annual Meeting (Pittsburgh, PA, October 22-27) has been posted to the conference website. The keynote speaker is Lucy Suchman, Professor of Anthropology of Science and Technology in the Department of Sociology at Lancaster University.
- The ITI Conference Calendar has been updated with listings of the many state library association meetings (taken from ALA’s Calendar of Events). If you can’t get to one of the major national meetings, state meetings provide a worthwhile alternative because they do not involve extensive travel, and the costs are generally lower. And there is a wide selection to choose from: here is a sample of the meetings occurring in just one week of October:
- Oct. 6-8 Minnesota Library Association, Rochester
- Oct. 6-8 Missouri Library Association, Lake of the Ozarks
- Oct. 6-9 Idaho Library Association, Post Falls
- Oct. 7-8 Maine Library Association, Camden
- Oct. 7-9 Colorado Association of Libraries, Loveland, CO
- Presentations from the IFLA Satellite Meeting on Open Access and the Changing Role of Libraries, August 9, are available here.
- The schedule for the ASIS&T annual meeting in Pittsburgh, October 22-27 is now available here.
Columnist, Information Today and Conference Circuit Blog Editor