Each month when I update the ITI Conference Calendar, I am on the lookout for items of interest that may not be appropriate for a simple listing of conferences. I will post them here as “Conference NewsNotes”. Here are the items for July 2010.
- At the Spring meeting of the American Chemical Society’s Division of Chemical Information (CINF), Randy Marcinko of Marcinko Enterprises presented “Profitable Publishing: My Journey From Edge Notched Cards to Semantic Edge“. View his slides.
- The Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) has started a blog for its 15th Information Online conference, to be held in Sydney, February 1-3.
- News from the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI):
- Dr. Joan K. Lippincott will deliver the keynote speech at the 2nd International Symposium on Information Management in the Changing World, to be held from September 22-24, 2010, in Ankara, Turkey. In her speech, entitled “‘My Information’: Digital Libraries, Social Networking, and the User Experience“, Dr. Lippincott will talk about the impact of social networks and mobile devices in creating and maintaining personal information environments. She will stress that it is vital to understand user needs and behaviors if libraries, archives and museums are to be an integral part of users’ information habitats. Further information here.
- Interviews from the Spring 2010 CNI membership meeting are available here.
- Clifford Lynch, CNI Executive Director, delivered the 20th Annual Elizabeth W. Stone Lecture, sponsored by the School of Information and Library Sciences at the Catholic University of America. View the video.
- A podcast of another keynote presentation by Clifford Lynch, entitled “e-Research and New Challenges in Knowledge Structuring”, is available here.
Please send me suggestions for items to be included in future NewsNotes postings; they will be most welcome!
Columnist, Information Today and Conference Circuit Blogger