This afternoon’s session on optimizing technology in libraries offered some good suggestions for both public and academic libraries.
From public librarian Michael Stephens came this list of cool stuff to do:
* Offer a downloadable library toolbar
* Offer integrated RSS feeds
* Provide loanable iPOD Shuffles with audiobooks
* Do IM if users want it
* Offer an external blog to your community
From academic librarian, Jeff Steely of Baylor University, who says that:
Portal devices + wireless = freedom from the desk
* Use PDAs for inventory or shelf reading
* Use a table PC to do “roving reference” – it’s easy for the client to see
* Use specialized PDAs with a barcode reader to do ILL processing
* Use wireless VoIP to contact staff by name or location. Staff is always available and the VoIP phones are not as bulky as 2-way radios.